Monday, May 21, 2012

TURKEY... the hidden gem of the middle east!



WOW! Turkey was wonderful, here are some highlights from the trip:
  • Ephesus- This was one of my favorite places that had the most ruins still intact- there was a large extensive 2 story library façade with statues that were in it as well as some temples to Diana and a large public bath house. The theatre was huge! It was so cool, we acted out Acts chapter 19 where Paul is preaching with hiscompanions to the people who are worshiping Diana instead of their HeavenlyFather. These people get mad and drag some of Pauls companions into the theaterin a mob yelling great is the Goddess Diana. Kenzie and I were the companions of Paul who got dragged into the theatre so Blake threw me over his shoulder and bounded up the steps! Itwas pretty surprising and funny to see a group of Americans booking it up tothe theatre yelling and shouting Great is Diana or don’t kill them ha ha the Orientaltour group there also were pretty shocked. Once in the theatre we acted out the rest quietly because there was a film thatwas being shot there. Afterward we all sang Ill go where you want me to go because Paul was such a great missionary and stood up for the right things evenwhen it definitely was not a popular thing to do in the city at the time he lived. It made me want to be like him and remember the covenants I have made to stand as a witness of God at all times and in all things and in all places no matter who we are with or where we are.
·        Assos was one of the cities that Paul went to while on his 3rd mission (yeah this guy was pretty amazing with all the different missions he went on) – in Acts 20 it talks about how his companions went before him in the ship but he chose to walk there and then meetup with them. Our professor Brother Ludlow talked about how it is important to take time to be alone and ponder and pray ourselves especially in nature as Paul did walking back. We rode on this rickety road down to the theatre in the city and our teacher said it was the road that Paul would have walked on to get down to meet his companions at the port. The day was looming with rain cloudsand the wind whipped through our skirts and hair it was great! I loved the feeling of adventure that came as we looked out over the cliffs that were over the aquaocean. We were blessed the whole time to avoid the rain (the only time it rained we were inside a fish place and on the bus and it poured! But we didn’t get wetat all it was such a blessing especially considering I didn’t bring my coolrain jacket from Ike… oops).One thing I loved about Turkey was all the open area that was lush green hillymountains and rugged cliffs over the sea ah it was amazing
·        Funny story real quick- the first night we went to a restaurant and Kenzie, Dev, and I didn’t really realize that every meal wehad was 4-5 courses so we ate a ton of bread ah it was soooooo good and soupand salad and thought that was it but then they brought out a pastry thing anda whole plate of meat and potatoes and stuff ad then dessert afterwards so wealmost cried when they brought out the main mail thing because we were alreadyso full of lentil soup and delicious fluffy bread.  We also tried Turkish delight that I didn’treally like (its like jelly bean squares with powdered sugar), goat milk ice cream which was so good, and a ton of weird meats- they love to mix stuff in their meats and makemeatballs or little sausage things I was not a fan but some people were. Also baklavawe were served like every night- I had one that was actually pretty good butthey are just sooooo sweet it was a little to much for me.  At some hotels they would have about 30 loaves of different types of breads uncut freshly baked with aknife and a cutting board and you could go cut however much you wanted and eatit with a bunch of different jellies and stuff. (they are famous for roses sothey had rose jelly- it tasted like you were eating a flower to me…weird!) 
·        Finally we went to some amazing Mosques especially the Hagia Sophia or "holy wisdom" built in the Byzantine time period by Emporer Justian the dome in the church is HUGE and it had original mosaics all over that are back from the Byzantine Period. We were required to cover our heads with a scarf at some and take off our shoes to show respect. I reminded me that these people do have some truths (like covering their heads and taking off their shoes) andshow devotion to something they really believe in and take time to pray oftenbut just don’t have the full truth. It is amazing we are blessed with the truthand I know we need to share it with others because we do have the authority assell of the doctrine of Christ and his church
·        Also we got to ride 3 ferries – 2 our bus drove on and was carried over and one just us it was so fun to feel the wind on ourfaces and climb up on the bars on top!

All together Turkey is one of my favorite places, but I have to admit it was wonderful to come home to Jerusalem- it is quickly becoming more like a home to me than I ever thought possible! I am so blessed to be here I am trying to soak up every minute of it! Thanks to everyone who helped me have the oppertunity to be here- I love and miss you all

Shalom!


Amy and I in front of the Library at Ephesus- one of the cities Paul preached at
On the shore of Gallipoli, battle site during WWI
Camilla, Kenz, Devry and I outside the Grand Mosque at Bursa

Blue Mosque- the pillars are HUGE! Kenzie, Devry and I

On a bridge overlooking the Bosphorus Strait- Megan and Stephany and I

No comments:

Post a Comment